M.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2011
Paper III – CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS-III
Time: Three hours Maximum: 80 marks
Answer ALL questions.
All questions carry equal marks.
1. (a) Discuss different types of engineering materials based on their
structure and bonding.
(b) Discuss the properties of metal-polymer composites.
(c) Discuss the phase diagrams of a binary system of
(i) Complete solid solution.
(ii) Incomplete solid solution.
(d) Discuss preparation and properties of metallic glasses.
2. (a) Explain what is transition. Briefly discuss the relevant theory.
(b) Discuss the factors which affect glass transition temperature.
(c) Give example of glass forming systems and explain how the case of
glass formation is determined.
(d) Describe some interesting applications of glasses.
3. (a) When is a material called bio-compatible?
(b) Discuss some important materials for bio-logical applications.
(c) Discuss the application of carbon and polymers as important materials.
(d) Discuss what are soft tissue replacement implants and their advantages
4. (a) Discuss classification of liquid crystals based a molecular orientation.
(b) Describe some applications of liquid crystals.
(c) Distinguish between quantum dots, quantum wines and quantum wells.
(d) Discuss a few methods used for the preparation of nano-materials.
5. Write short notes on any TWO of the following:
a) Different semi-conductor materials.
b) Methods of preparation of glasses.
c) Hydroxy apatite glass ceramics.
d) Characterization methods for nano materials.